This is a popular question. In general, convincing customers to leave feedback is not nearly as important on Amazon as it is on some other platforms. That said, because so little feedback is left, it is very important to keep a close eye on it. Poor feedback can hurt your buy box percentage, hurt the confidence that a buyer has, and ultimately cause Amazon to reevaluate your selling privileges.
2 Have Amazon remove feedback.
3 Respond to feedback.
1) Communicating With Buyer
Sometimes there are valid concerns that a customer has and, if possible, you should reach out to them and try to resolve these issues. Other times, buyers just make mistakes. Whether it is leaving 1 star instead of 5, leaving feedback for the wrong seller, or anything else, you’re bound to witness mistakes from buyers. When these happen, it can be useful to reach out them. Follow these steps:
- In Feedback Manager, scroll down to View Current Feedback.
- Find the comment you want to resolve and click the Resolve button (only available on negative feedback).
You will be taken to the Resolving Negative Feedback page.
- Click the yellow Contact Customer button.
- From the drop-down menu, select a subject.
- In the Message area, type your message.
- Click Send e-mail to send your message to the buyer.
This is your opportunity to address any issues that the buyer has raised, inform the buyer of a (partial) refund that you are providing, or explain where you think an error may have been made.
If you feel like a mistake has been made OR the buyer has indicated that they would like to remove their feedback, you should have these instructions saved, so that you can easily relay them to your buyer:
- Go to Amazon.com and click Your Account in the upper right hand corner.
- Click Your Orders.
- On the right, select a date range from the Date drop-down box. Click Go.
A list of orders appears.
- Locate your order and click View Order Details in the left-hand column, under the Order Placed date.
- Scroll down to Your Seller Feedback and click Remove.
The Remove Feedback page appears.
- Select a reason for removing the feedback, and then click Remove Feedback.
One warning: You cannot offer any sort of tit-for-tat trade. In other words, you can’t offer the customer 33% return if he removes his feedback. This is expressly against Amazon rules and your account can suffer if you try to employ this technique.
2) Have Amazon Remove Feedback
There are times where Amazon will remove feedback and it is very important that you take advantage of this. As a FBA seller, you can get almost all feedback removed (If it is a product review, it gets removed. If it is shipping/packaging/etc related, Amazon takes responsibility). Any negative feedback that includes the following should cause you to request a removal:
- Obscene/Profane Language
- Private information included (suppose the buyer lists your full name, email address or phone number)
- Something that is a product review, not a seller review.
- Review is about the shipping/handling/customer service
To do this, you’ll want to open a case with Amazon. Go to Contact Us
1. Select Selling on Amazon from the left-hand menu
2. Customers and orders
3. Customer feedback. Amazon will evaluate the feedback and make a decision whether to remove it.
3) Respond To Feedback
Finally, if you can’t get the buyer to remove the negative feedback, and you can’t get Amazon to remove the negative feedback, then you should try to blunt the feedback. In your Feedback Manager you can see all of the recent comments. Under each comment is a Respond button. Click this to leave a brief, professional reply. This is NOT to convince the buyer to change their mind (this bridge should have already been crossed). It is for future buyers who might see a negative feedback and be concerned. Just replying will be helpful (potential buyers will see that you’ve tried to handle the issue, not just ignored it). However, you can also explain how you’ve tried to help. Something simple like, “We regret that we did not exceed your expectations. Please know that in addition to providing you a refund, we have also set up processes to make sure this does not happen in the future. Thank you for your feedback.” This is a worst case scenario that should not come up very often, but in the rare instance where it does, it’s a useful final tool.
As Always, Best Wishes